More than 10 years ago, seeking to extend her traditional art background, Elena picked up a camera and an Ikelite underwater housing and started playing in her backyard in The Bahamas with her young daughter as a model.
The resulting project “Alice in Waterland” went viral on the web, and her underwater photography went on to gain thousands of fans around the world.
Her work has been featured in print and web magazines worldwide, on numerous book covers, and at exhibitions in Asia, Europe, and the Americas.
She has worked with major brands including Samsung, Olympus, MGM, Air Canada, Davidoff, SLS Hotels, Atlantis, and BodyGlove.
Elena and her daughter, who has been appointed the first ambassador for the Bahamas National Trust, are bringing attention to the Trust’s conservation work and management of over two million acres of National Marine Parks.
Awards + Achievements
- First major underwater photo shoot with a cell phone for Samsung
- A solo exhibition in Seoul, South Korea, organized by Samsung
- Numerous book covers with publishers Penguin Random House, Simon & Schuster, and HarperCollins
- Underwater photography workshop and presentation at the Palm Springs Photo Festival
- Solo exhibition "Ocean Song" in Duncan Miller Gallery LA, USA
- Large format prints on the walls at MGM and Atlantis hotels as interior decor
- Numerous photo magazine publications: Digital Photo Magazine (US),"Il Fotografo" magazine and FotoCult (Italy), DUZHE magazine in China, Lens Magazine (Israel), DigitalPHOTO, DER SPIEGEL and Diving magazines (Germany), Professional Photographer Magazine (UK) and many more