Bruce Hall is a legally blind photographer, underwater photographer, and
disability advocate. Hall lives in Santa Ana, California and exhibits his photography internationally. Bruce, along with writer and wife, Valerie Hall, have published a book, Immersed: Our Experience with Autism, examining their twin sons’ severe autism. The book captures their experiences through words and images.
"Due to my severe visual impairment, I use photography and optical devices to see what many often ignore or miss. Quite simply, I use photography to see and explore the world." - Bruce Hall
Bruce Hall is inspired by his wife, children, teachers, and all those over the last 30 years who have helped him overcome obstacles and develop new strategies to make his underwater photography possible. Bruce has been published and featured in a growing number of notable documentaries and editorials. In 2010, The Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division purchased a portfolio of photographs from Hall’s Autism in Reflection series for their permanent collection.
Awards + Achievements
- Featured in Dark Light: The Art of Blind Photographers an HBO documentary
- Featured in the documentary film Shot in the Dark
- Apple's Behind the Mac international advertising campaign
- Hall's work has been featured in numerous text books and magazines, including:
- Discover Diving
- Nature's Best Photography
- Spirit Magazine
- Men's Journal
- National Geographic